Reading at St. Joseph’s
#Reading #Enrichment #Achievement
“Where minds blossom and love grows”
Reading is at the heart of everything we do here at St.Joseph’s.
We all have a role to play in the development and success of reading at our school!
– Read regularly to their class with love and enthusiasm.
– Expose their class to different text types through shared and independent reading opportunities.
– Have a designated reading area in their classroom that contains books to match all reading levels and interests.
– Take their class to the school library on a regular basis to allow their children to choose books that interest them! #Enrichment
– Challenge their class to read a many of the St. Joseph’s Readers Become Leader books.
– Listen to their child read on a regular basis (even a couple of pages a night will help!)
– Sign and date their child’s reading record on a regular basis.
– Parents of children in Nursery, Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 will attend an Early Reading Workshop to support them with their child’s reading.
– Read their home reading book every day.
– Read a book/comic/magazine/e-book of their choice for pleasure.
– Read as many of the St. Joseph’s ‘Readers Become Leaders’ books for their age range.
Our New Library
Reading is so important here at St. Joseph’s. We knew our library was old and in need of some loving attention, so we built ourselves a new one! We even stocked it with all new books.
Take a look at the video below to see how 2 old stock rooms became our new library.